Hangleton Memories

Records of life from sessions at St Richards

By Roslyn Cook

Photo:Rod and Miriam talking in old money

Rod and Miriam talking in old money

Photo from WRVS Heritage Plus Archive

Photo:Freda tells it like it is

Freda tells it like it is

Photo from WRVS Heritage Plus Archive

Photo:Reminiscence banner from St Richards reminiscence group

Reminiscence banner from St Richards reminiscence group

Photo from WRVS Heritage Plus Archive

Photo:Memories of the Knoll estate

Memories of the Knoll estate

Photo from WRVS Heritage Plus Archive

Photo:Frank and Miriam in a session

Frank and Miriam in a session

Photo from WRVS Heritage Plus Archive

When war broke out in Hangleton

Nancy Kersey:

I was 9 when war broke out in Hangleton. We used to go down Martin Road onto the golf course where there were bunkers. Soldiers used to fill sandbags there from the bunkers and we used to go down with a bucket and spade and help out. I got into trouble with my dad once when I was there, for not coming home during an air raid.

Wally Kersey:

'We suffered a direct hit on our house on Olive Road in Hangleton. I got shrapnel in my legs trying to get into the Morrison shelter under the table. We all got out at 11pm at night; everyone's faces were black from soot in the chimney.'

Frank Milson:

'I was born in Westbourne Street off Portland Road. Then I lived at 66 Rutland Road with my mum, my dad and my sister. There was a pub on the corner called the 'Rutland' pub, and a greengrocers called 'Groves'. I went to Connaught Infants School and then Ellen Street Junior School -both closed now.'

' I trained as a cabinet maker in Hove at Curry's on Cross Street. I spent 4 and ¾ years as an apprentice. Then I was called up. I went in the Navy. We were in Russian convoys, protecting the Russian boats from attack by the Germans. The cold! We went to Murmansk a couple of times.'

Pea picking at Broomfield's Farm


'I went to the same schools as Frank, though a bit later. So did my dad. I was born in 1937 on Blatchington Road in Hove. When I was 10, we moved to Clark Avenue and then it was all fields. The Conway Court Flats at the top of Ellen Road are now where my school was.'

'In our holidays, we used to go pea picking and watch the tractor dig up potatoes. We put them in bags at Broomfield's Farm, Hangleton. You could eat as many peas as you liked. When we were boys, we used to spend all our time up the Dyke playing. In 1947 or so, there was loads of wildlife. There was talk of a whale's jawbone buried there.'

'I went to Hove Manor School till I was 15. I worked for Rayners making specs until I was 18, then I had two years national Service. In 1956 I was sent to North Wales to be a driving instructor for the army, in Wrexham. I married Pat in 1960.'

Hove and Portslade amalgamated

Rod Patterson:

'When they amalgamated Hove and Portslade, there was uproar. I went to a meeting about it. They took all the Portslade signs down. They had to put one back up again in the end; we caused a bit of a stink about it'.

'I came out of the army in 1981. I asked my wife where she wanted to live, she's from Yorkshire originally, and she said she wanted to stay here. I went to Portslade Council and they re-housed us because I was army and they had a duty to. Anyway they re-housed us in the flat next door to me mum! It was a total coincidence. On Drove Road this was'.

The old Workhouse on Elm Grove


'I arrived in Brighton after my suitcase was stolen when I fell asleep on the train. All my money! I was supposed to be going to my aunt's, I felt like I couldn't really turn up with nothing and no warning. I went to the cop shop when I got here and they didn't know what to do with me. They took me up to the old Workhouse on Elm Grove which is now the County Hospital, near the Race Hill. I didn't sleep a wink. I was terrified. I was up and out at the crack of dawn before the police came in the morning.'

'In 1966, we still had an outside toilet in Hove. We had one bedroom and all the kids in a put you up in the front room, the bathroom was in the kitchen. The bath had a top on it so you could use it as a surface.'

'I used to go down to the 'Black Cat' cinema on Western road near where Waitrose is now with a flask of tea and a bottle of milk for my little one. They used to give her a bag of sweeties when we arrived'.

'I worked in Besson's. Bessons was one of the main employers in the area, on the Old Shoreham Road. There was D.R. Goldings too. My uncle bought a hotel  'The Florentine', so we came down to help run it. I'd been married four years when we came down. My daughter was three.'

Resident histories

Freda Mainwaring:

'When I was growing up, there used to be a gang of us girls. We came up together, got told off for coming back late. They're all gone now. I'm the last one left'.


'I was living in Waterloo Street in Hove until I moved to Florence Avenue. The thing I like about where I live is there are no problems, I've got everything I need from George Street to Boundary Road. I've never really wanted to go anywhere else.'

Sathi Sivapragasm:

'I came down here because my daughter was working here three years ago. I came for a holiday. Then I came properly two months ago. I came from Sri Lanka 35 years ago. I went to Northamptonshire. It has the largest market in the UK. Built in 1129. I came in 1973 so I spent 34 years in Northamptonshire.'

Rod Patterson:

'My dad met my mum on Rutland Road when he came down from Yorkshire.'

This page was added by Roslyn Cook on 19/05/2008.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.